Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat

I had a chance to catch one of my favorites tonight at Playhouse Square. If memory serves me correctly,  I have seen Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat in three separate high school or youth group productions and even appeared in our grade school's rendition of Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice's biblical musical adaptation (I received some serious notices for my performance as the jilted, money grubbing Potiphar). But tonight was the first opportunity I had to see the production put on by a professional ensemble and it was certainly worth the trip. The story straight out of Genesis, which tells of Joe's betrayal by his envious brothers followed by a swift ascendancy due to his soothsayer abilities, is told with energy, enthusiasm, and very little filler. The songs are both lively and catchy, the sets and lighting were extraordinary, and actors Ace Young playing Joseph and Diana DeGarmo as the recurrent narrator along with the rest of the cast were all tremendous.