Saturday, April 5, 2014

Always

I recently read Peter Biskind's My Lunches with Orson which is a transcription of taped conversations held between Orson Welles and confidant and fellow filmmaker Henry Jaglom in the final years of the legendary director's life. After getting to know both Welles and Jaglom through these exchanges, I felt I owed it to the lesser known of the pair to check out one of his films. In one particular passage, Jaglom relays his plans for a project which he intends to star in about a separated couple deciding to spend a final night together before finalizing their divorce and Welles responds with merciless discouragement. For some reason, that is the picture I decided to watch. Always is a pretentious, barely watchable, and horrendously acted picture that grows messier as it progresses, one which Jaglom should have heeded Welles' advice in not making and whose instincts I should have trusted by avoiding the film entirely.