Monday, April 19, 2010

Death at a Funeral

The movies have a certain appeal that can only be gotten in a theater, and with comedies, a crowded theater. Take Death of a Funeral for example. There are moments in the film that may amount to small chuckles at home but turned into uproarious laughter in the theater from the infectious surrounding laughter. It is a remake of the 2007 British film of the same name which I have not seen, which also may have increased my enjoyment of the film. It tells the story of a family gathering together to bury their patriarch, where absolutely every bad thing imaginable happens. It is directed with great comic timing by Neil LaBute, who usually directs satire (In The Company Of Men, Lakeview Terrace).  As I was watching this film, I got the feeling that maybe it wasn't as great as I thought, but I was having such a good time I could hardly care.
***