Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hereafter

I wanted to revisit Clint Eastwood's Hereafter, fearing I may not have gotten enough out of it the first time around, and I'm glad I did. From a sensitive and nicely woven multi thread story from stalwart screenwriter Peter Morgan, Eastwood continues to demonstrate his directorial prowess with this examination of three people dealing with different types of grief. It is a tough subject to tackle and an even more difficult task to make engaging and all involved do a wonderful job at pulling it off. Additionally, the film includes a fine performance from Matt Damon and a terrifyingly beautiful tsunami scene that opens the film.


10/19/2010 review I came across a review of this film with the title "Saint Clint" and the article refers to the "heavy handedness" of this and possibly to some of his other directorial work. I would agree with that assessment if Clint Eastwood were not such a masterful storyteller and sure handed director with such a distinctive style and naturalistic approach to filmmaking (Is it fair to knock a legend because he is old-fashioned and in his 80s? Does every journalistic piece have to be politically slanted? Do the majority of movie critics even like movies?) Yes there are political undertones in the film, but down in its bare bones this is a nicely told story that is both literate and yes, moving. It tells the story of a medium and several people dealing with different stages of grief. It is leisurely paced, subtitled at parts, and I would not recommend it to the Jackass demographic. It is nicely written by the talented Peter Morgan (Frost/Nixon, The Queen) and again wonderfully handled by Clint (while watching his films, I catch myself thinking, "in any other hands.") It also must be said of Matt Damon that he has grown as an actor, and if the trailers for True Grit are not misleading, I bet that this is the year he walks home with a Golden Statue (for acting).