Sunday, July 3, 2011

Murder, My Sweet

Philip Marlowe is in a tough spot. A handful of people involved in a missing persons he was investigating are now in the morgue and the hard boiled P.I. is a prime suspect. With bandages over his eyes, Marlowe explains to detectives how his case involving a hulk of a man searching for his old flame evolved into a case of multiple murders involving local gangsters, a millionaire, and his sultry young wife. Directed by Edward Dmytryk, Murder, My Sweet is a nice little twisty detective noir from the Raymond Chandler novel Farewell, My Lovely. Dick Powell, who oddly plays Marlowe in a lightly comic fashion not at all resembling Humphrey Bogart's version, is surprisingly effective. I enjoyed the twists and turns of the plot in this movie that gets more and more engaging up until its wonderful ending.